Other than jump on the obvious solution to avoiding a hangover, which is simple drinking in moderation or avoid it entirely, we are going to focus on those things that allow to have fun and still have our cake and eat it too…which, no matter how you say that, we should most definitely be able to eat the cake we have.
Here are hangover solutions in a snap!
- For EVERY drink, shot, shooter, etc,…drink 8oz of water right after. Make this an instruction to your nurse, waiter, bartender. The premier cause of hangovers is directly tied to dehydration…and due to being in the desert…well. Let’s not struggle to figure that one out.
- Hair of the dog is a total myth. It may relieve the symptoms short term, but escalates the effects overall. It does not stop the throbbing…it cantt. However, for you Bloody Mary types, a Virgin Mary will do the trick. The goal is to get neutral fluids in you. Vegi juice will work. FRUIT Juices and sugary drinks (sodas, lemonade, sweet tea, etc) will not due to the body converts sugars to alcohols which is similar to Hair of the Dog. It doesn’t work.
- Multivitamins have been found to work WAY better than any Hangover pill ever could. Study after study by psychopharmacologists who study hangovers show this. BMJ had an article in 2005 demonstrating that there is “no compelling evidence” of Hangover pills working better than placebos…none.
- Coffee in a SMALL amount but only if you are a regular coffee drinker (read daily). If you are not a regular coffee drinker, this will most likely intensify your hangover.
- Good ol’ fashion NSAIDs like Aspirin, Advil, Aleve, or ibuprofen. Avoid Tylenol for this…it’s just jacking your liver which is already in overdrive trying to work out the alcohol you just slammed.
- Time. If you are pounding water and a couple of aspirin after a night of debauchery, you’ll come out of it in a short while. Keep the water coming though.
Overall. The best avoidance of the paid is purely water between drinks and a couple of aspirin before and after you wake up with more water will wash the pain down the drain.